Monday 16 July 2012

Passing the time


Out walking on the White Caterthun this week.


So, no big trip for us this summer... instead some visitors (a few already been and gone), a singin', actin', dancin' summer school (for the youngest member, last week, lots of fun) and really... just some being at home and taking it easy. Well, that's the plan anyway.

In amongst this, of course, there is reading and listening and absorbing this and that. Here a few things I've been in contact with so far:

I finally managed to read Barbara Kingsolver's "The Lacuna" (2009) that I bought ages ago. It is a fabulous read... and a must for all you Frida Kahlo fans (one review here). Art, history, censorship... it's all here.

It is the summer of sport here of course (what with the Jubilympics and all) and, amongst other things, the BBC are running a fascinating series of radio programmes telling various Olympic stories alongside songs (by Boo Hewerdine, Jez Lowe, Julie Matthews, Martin Simpson, Bob Fox and many others). The series is called "The Ballads of the Games". This week's episode was particularly emotional (it covers the 1936 Olympics in Berlin).

Still with sport there was of course some tennis on here in the UK not so long back. I don't watch that much of it (it was more my Mum's thing) but it's hard to ignore it all. Andy Murray, sadly, didn't quite make the top spot this year but another player (much less well-known) did OK. This is a lovely interview with British-English player Jonny Marray after his victory in the men's doubles (one of those everyone-said-I-should-give-up-and-now-look-what-I've-done pieces). Hurray for the loser-winners!

And finally, I haven't seen the film about young Leeds poets "We are Poets" yet but I did catch this poem from it. A stunning piece of work and film (poem by Joseph Buckley).

So art and sport, sport and art... spart anyone? As for me... I'll just be out with the dog... no medals, no races... just a bit of moving about... then a lot of sitting around pondering...

x


4 comments:

The Bug said...

Sounds like the kind of summer I like - well, maybe I wouldn't mind going to the lake for a few days, but you already have the beach :)

Rachel Fox said...

Yes, the beach. We've already had a good few days on the beach (in all weathers) and more to come over the next few weeks.
x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Nice to see that dog again Rachel. Glad you are having a nice quiet summer - do you miss the States? If you are coming down this way again over the holidays - do let us know and call for a coffee.

Rachel Fox said...

No plans to go south for a while, Weaver, but thanks for the offer!

We look at our trip photos from last year often... but I miss the excitement of travel rather than the places themselves I think really. It was great to be there but it's not bad being here either!
x