Friday 18 May 2012

Hanging around





So... just hanging around at the moment... bit of decorating, lots of walking in the rain, rewriting things, rereading others, family this and that. In quiet moments I've been watching Simon Amstell's sitcom "Grandma's House" (on my own - not to anyone else's taste... and too rude for the young 'un). I do like it (sure, it's navel-gazing gone mad... that's kind of the point). This morning it led me to looking up some youtube to see the 2010 BBC Breakfast interview that was referred to in this week's episode (Amstell was on the show and made a joke about someone's tumour... but as I don't watch morning TV I didn't know if it was fictional or not... it wasn't). Then that led me to some Amstell on Buzzcocks (never really watched him on there... I lost track of Buzzcocks back when Mark Lamarr and Phil whatever-he's-called - oh yes, Jupitus! - just seemed to be occupied with making each other laugh... ho ho). And it so happened that the Buzzcocks I got to was one with Amy Winehouse (very amusing - she was no like no-one else). And then that led me to the clip of new (to the media) Amy in the clip above (2004). Yes, Jonathan Ross is the world's most uninspired interviewer (never mind the drooling over female guests - I don't watch him on TV at all) but it's worth it on this clip to be reminded of what Amy was like before the big hair/big fame/big story. Now, that was a voice. That was a pretty good songwriter too (didn't we decide back here that she was the sound of the noughties?). Not to be forgotten.

Finally here she is/was a few years later talking about working with Tony Bennett - sounding happy too (full song is here):


13 comments:

Totalfeckineejit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Totalfeckineejit said...

Great legacy, terrible cost. Sad, sad, sad.

Rachel Fox said...

Well, yes and no. Sad for her family and people who loved her no doubt. Sad to think about all the media bollocks (this interview with Ross starting off as they meant to go on... "you're very confident, aren't you?" etc.).

But I find it hard to feel too sad about someone who (considering everything) was really very productive and recognised for her talents. Sure it could have been a smoother story, a better end... but you can say that of a lot of people! At least she didn't leave heartbroken kids too...

x

Domestic Oub said...

Ah, Poor Amy, adore her work. Can't look at the clips at the moment as Mr Oub is watching the telly and I'm too tired to go to another room! Agreed - Jonathan Ross is awful. Amy was wonderful and Amstell's show is great. We watched last season and have recorded all of this seasons so far, but haven't had a chance to sit down and watch any yet.

Hmmm. Suspect I haven't added much to the sum total of the internet there with that commment!

Titus said...

I can't add any more value to what's gone before. Something about her truly rare talent makes you feel it was a loss, as well as a personal tragedy.

Anonymous said...

Those of us who loved her won't ever forget her. I don't know about Jonathon Ross sometimes. He can be funny, but often he is just a bit much.

I'll always love, Amy !!!!

Rachel Fox said...

When I posted this on FB yesterday someone posted this link to Amstell and Winehouse on Popworld back when she wasn't well-known at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inHOKrk9aD0

Worth a look.
I missed Popworld altogether. Too old when it started really.
x

Rachel Fenton said...

Weird - I watched all of the Winehouse clips you have/mentioned yesterday! She was a big bang of a talent.

Rachel Fox said...

Why weird? Was it just coincidence that you watched them? That would be quite weird...
x

Rachel Fenton said...

Just coincidence...so weird for me to see it all here...

Rachel Fox said...

That is a little weird.
x

Dominic Rivron said...

I'd totally forgotten Grandma's House! All I can remember is that I liked it. I'll have to watch if I can.

Rachel Fox said...

Last episode tonight I think.
x