Thursday 10 February 2022

Outro - Songwriters' Choices


“I’m gonna take myself a piece of sunshine”


It’s been a week or so since I finished my Fun A Day Dundee writing project for this year. If you missed it, it was a post a day in January, each one about a different song (and you can see the full list of the 31 songs back here). Every day I wrote about how I got to know the song, about the songwriter/s and about the artists that had performed or recorded the songs too. In many cases I had responses from the songwriters about their song (and in a couple of cases quite long interviews). In one instance (for the song Piece of Clay on Day 5) I had a response from Carleen Anderson who recorded that song in the 1990s. I met many of the songs in the project via the folk club in Montrose but there were a few tangents too. The oldest song was from the 1930s, the newest from last year.


I would like to say a big thank you to every songwriter and artist who contributed to the series of posts in some way and also to all those who shared, retweeted, commented and/or liked any of the posts. Please remember to support all those artists (and others) when you can – I think I’ve doubled my Bandcamp library in the last couple of months! The recent Spotify saga does seem to mean a lot of people are reconsidering how they access their music and hopefully that will lead to better times for musicians.


One of the things I asked of the songwriters last month was to name a song by someone else that they wished they had written. Obviously, it’s a bit of a daft question – most of us love so many songs that it’s hard to pick one – but these things are always just ways in to new (and old) music. I know it’s the kind of question you might give a different answer to on any given day, and what it’s brought up is by no means a definitive list of all the great songs in the world, but it is a list of good songs (no more, no less). Because there was so much else in each of the 31 posts, I thought these recommendations might get a bit lost so below is a list of the songs that were mentioned (and there’s a YouTube playlist of them here). I’m not going to say who suggested which song so if you want to know that you’ll have to read all the posts (and if you’ve read them once and forgotten you’ll just have to read them all again). Most of the versions in the YouTube playlist are by the songwriters in question but for one, where there are two songwriters and each has a separate version, I picked a version by someone else, so as not to pick a favourite.



God’s Song (That’s Why I Love Mankind) written by Randy Newman. 


The Freedom Come-All-Ye written by Hamish Henderson 


I’m Looking for My Own Lone Ranger written by Charlie Dore and Ricky Ross


I’m Still Here written by Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan


Winter Wonderland written by Felix Bernard and lyricist Richard Bernhard Smith.


Man on a String written by Jason Feddy 


On a Sea of Fleur de Lis written by Richard Shindell 


One Foot in the Grave written by Rayna Gellert & Kieran Kane


Tonya’s Twirls written by Loudon Wainwright III 


Making Pies written by Patty Griffin


Who Knows Where the Time Goes written by Sandy Denny


Diamonds and Rust written by Joan Baez


Samson written by Regina Spektor


If I Stayed written by Kristina Olsen


Torn Screen Door written by David Francey


Shepherd written by Anaïs Mitchell


Goodbye Yellow Brick Road written by Elton John and Bernie Taupin


Goodbye Joe written by Bid (of The Monochrome Set)


Blackbird written by Paul McCartney


Anarchy in the UK written by Paul Cook, Steve Jones, John Lydon, Glen Matlock


A Case of You written by Joni Mitchell


Blue written by Joni Mitchell


I Think It Is Going to Rain Today written by Randy Newman


Blues Run the Game written by Jackson C. Frank



I really enjoyed the varied responses to this (and indeed to all the questions). At least one of the songwriters in the list above (Anaïs Mitchell) has been all over the radio here in the past couple of weeks, thanks to a brilliant new album. There were some lovely details in other parts of the interviews last month too (for starters, Kim Edgar’s save-the-day art teacher and Rhona Macfarlane’s lyrics written on a till receipt). As I wrote in some of the posts, research included listening to lots of songwriter interviews and especially the Mastertapes radio series. A detail I loved in one of those was from the Suzanne Vega Mastertapes from 2012 where she talked about playing whole albums (instead of just single tracks) and the reaction of her daughter to listening to a full Bob Dylan album (‘why are we sitting here listening to a whole bunch of songs by the same guy?’). I almost mentioned Suzanne Vega in the Rachel Sermanni post on Day 30 as I felt they had something in common but it felt forced and I couldn’t quite put my finger on what I wanted to say so I dropped that idea.


After finishing the January posting frenzy, it was a dash down to a family funeral in Leeds, England for us last week. The photo at the top of the post is the Angel of the North in Gateshead that we passed on the way south (and in fact a song of the same name was mentioned in one of the posts last month too). Funerals (and traveling in general) heighten emotions and responses, I think, and it was flash after flash (roads, big art, first snowdrops of the year at the crematorium, music, even a poem, music, back on roads again). Some of the music I encountered last week was watching an online concert last Friday evening by one of January’s featured artists (Day 26’s Blue Rose Code – this time as a duo, Ross Wilson and Paul Harrison). In the concert Ross talked about Elton John (interesting as one of his songs is in the list in this post – can you remember which songwriter picked that in January?). Then for their cover version Ross and Paul did a song I absolutely loved in my teens (Sunshine after the Rain by Elkie Brooks, hear it here). That single by Elkie came out in 1977 but hung around on commercial radio a lot longer (certainly I heard it on Radio Tees in the 1980s and cried along with it every time my teenage heart felt broken, i.e., quite a lot). I didn’t know it back then but it was written in 1968 by Ellie Greenwich, who I should have heard of, she was a big Brill building writer, but in honesty I never have done until now, even though a quick peek at her Wikipedia page will tell you “she wrote or co-wrote Da Doo Ron Ron, Be My Baby, Then He Kissed Me, Do Wah Diddy Diddy, Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), Hanky Panky, Chapel of Love, Leader of the Pack, and River Deep – Mountain High, among others”. Sunshine after the Rain was on Ellie Greenwich’s 1968 album Ellie Greenwich Composes, Produces & Sings and there was another version of the song by Berri in 1994/1995.


Back at home in Dundee this Sunday I was listening to one of my favourite radio shows (Cerys Matthews on BBC 6 Music) and she was interviewing the poet Roger Robinson who picked one of my all-time favourite songs to play (I Think I’ll Call It Morning by Gil Scott-Heron, written by Gil and Brian Jackson, the song is on the 1971 album Pieces of a Man and the quote at the top of the post is from this song). Regular readers will know I am a huge fan of Gil Scott-Heron (and I did mention him in one of this January’s posts too). I saw him live only once (at the Leeds Irish Centre, maybe in 1992, he was brilliant) and I wrote a poem about him too (it’s on this post back in 2012). I’ve always thought I Think I’ll Call It Morning would make a perfect funeral song (I Think I’ll Call It Mourning?) and it’s certainly high on my list for that. Like many great songs this one has joy and sadness mixed up so thoroughly that you don’t know what you’re feeling as you listen (but whatever it is, it’s amazing). 





I’m not sure where else this blog will go in 2022. I suppose that’s kind of exciting. See you there.




2 comments:

The Bug said...

It was a lot of fun to read all of those posts. I listened to the whole playlist at the beginning & then had to go back & listen again for each post. I'll check out the Songwriters' Choices sometime this weekend (I hope).

Rachel Fox said...

You are so appreciated, Dana.Thanks for doing all the listening 😁