Wednesday 28 October 2020

Wonderful world

 

More than a tweet

 

The water flows

And Stevie sings,

Love’s in need…

He’s rarely wrong.

 

A robin comes

To hear the song,

Who’s on this turf?

Who’s winning?

 

I chirp a word

To the tiny bird,

It pays no mind

To me at all.

 

Let sweetness fly.

Dig out the good.

The fight is still

Worth singing.



RF 2020


I started writing this on holiday in Argyll in September. I was sitting by the Firth of Clyde, in a garden, playing a Stevie Wonder song on my phone (quietly, not disturbing anyone, no headphones to hand...) and the resident robin came to see what on earth was going on (the same robin that made it into a poem in the previous post too). I particularly love the song (Love’s in need of love today from Songs in the Key of Life). Here it is:




 

 

2 comments:

The Bug said...

I like that song too. I have a version of it sung by Joan Osborne (she of "One of Us" fame - I really like her music). She did an album of cover songs a while back (2002 - oh my lord I can't believe it's been that long ago!). Anyway, I like her version too. And this poem!

Rachel Fox said...

We listen to the Joan Osborne album 'Relish' pretty often - it's brilliant. Girl and I are just about to bake some Halloween biscuits/cookies so we will find that covers album to cook to - it sounds right up our street!
x