Friday 19 May 2023

Music for May


Realising I haven’t put anything on this blog for a couple of months, I thought I’d just mention two albums you might want to look up.

 

The first is Onliness from Josienne Clarke (pic above). I’ve written about this artist on this blog before and this album has been out for a month or so. It sees Clarke revisiting work from her back catalogue and it really is a beautiful collection. Even songs like Done (that I loved so much in its earlier version) are somehow at least equalled, if not bettered, in these new recordings (new video here). I’ve been hearing them on some of my favourite radio shows recently and if mainstream radio were to rely less on easy options (oh yes please, more Coldplay, that’s what the world needs) we could all be richer, musically at least. Clarke has that special thing, a voice like no-one else – you hear her voice and you know it’s her – and once you’re a fan, you’re a fan for life. She is touring this year too – catch her if you can.





Another artist I’ve written about before is Pauline M. Hynd (here, for example). A huge figure on the Dundee music scene, Pauline died in 2021 but this spring her family (in blood and music) have released a collection of songs written by this artist who was perhaps better known for her performances of others’ material. The album is called My mother is really out there travelling in the light and you can hear it (and buy it) on Bandcamp here. All but one track feature Pauline on vocals (the last track has vocals from another local singer/songwriter Nicola/Nic Madill).

 

I will try to find something else for the blog before too long! It’s a bit all or nothing these days.

 

3 comments:

martine said...

Done was just beautiful, thanks for sharing.

The Bug said...

Gorgeous music! Thanks for sharing it.

Rachel Fox said...

Agreed. It is one of my all-time favourites 😊