Sunday 31 December 2023

Disc A Day, coming your way

 



Since moving to Dundee a few years back I’ve really enjoyed the January activity of Fun A Day (doing something loosely creative every day in January, posting it online if you fancy it). In particular it prodded me to do some new writing – sometimes poems, sometimes prose, a lot of auto and other biography (which I think is a lot to do with getting older and wondering how long my actual memory will keep working). I took part in the Dundee version of FAD in 2020, 2021 and 2022 and in fact I enjoyed it so much I even did a bonus one for myself in December 2022. Then in 2023 there was no Fun A Day Dundee and it’s the same again for January 2024 so I decided I would just get on and do something myself this year. 
 
So welcome to (drum roll, please): Disc A Day. It’s pretty simple – I will be posting a record cover a day for all of January (in this case the larger ones, album covers and 12” singles). Music has always been a key part of my life and records were early friends. I loved listening to all the music my older siblings (and, to a lesser extent, parents) left lying around the house. I’ve listened to a lot of music radio and then was a (pirate) radio and club DJ in the 1990s so I still have a few records kicking about the place (as does my partner, he was in a techno band, collects the odd record himself). I have a couple of work commitments just now but I might still try to write something about this month’s records here and there. Im interested partly in why Ive kept some records and not others as Ive pared the collection down over the years and house moves. Record covers fit nicely on the Instagram square so I will post them there and I’ll add them here on the blog too, for record, as it were. I might do the odd round-up on other places and I might even use a hashtag. #DiscADay2024 anyone?
 
See you for the first record tomorrow. Join in if you like…
 
 
 

My previous Fun A Day (and related) projects start here for January 2020 (art/music), here for January 2021 (poems, autobiography), here for January 2022 (music/interviews) and here for December 2022 (TV/Strictly/family biography).

2 comments:

The Bug said...

Ooo - it will be fun to see you out & about in blogland!

Rachel Fox said...

Thanks, Dana!